The skills needed to gain a job in engineering are often ignored when candidates possess the technical attributes required. CEO of the Women’s Engineering Society (WES), Kristen Bodley, believes this to be part reasoning to the low gender balance within the industry. Of course its vital to have an asset of technical skills, however, other skills contribute significantly.
At Influx, we deal with a variety of employers and its becoming apparent that its not all just about the technical skills. Potential employees are also required to have the following:
- Great verbal and written skills in communication are necessary as engineers are expected to liaise with both colleagues and clients.
- You could also be expected to document reports and provide written evaluations of tested products.
- Design is a key part of engineering. If an employer requests knowledge of your computing skills before entering a job then they will most likely use computer-based design and modelling software. You could be required to produce, implement and/or present designs through this software to manager and clients.
- Use of maths and science is often acknowledged within the engineering industry. However, keep in mind that this may refer to the use of accounting skills. Employees may be required to discuss and agree to budgets, schedules, and specifications with clients and managers. This will happen before any practical work can take place.
- Although this seems like a typically standard skill, being able to manage your time efficiently is necessary for this profession as you will constantly be dealing with something new. This is thought to be a rather difficult attribute to achieve. Forbes’ list of 20 ways to gain time-keeping skills offers various ways to for you to begin working on bettering yourself. Being able to prioritise and balance your work provides you with stability in an ever-changing workplace.
If you like to know more about how Influx Recruitment can help then please call us on 0131 331 1500 / 01224 050 600 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you enjoyed this blog then please check out our other blog ‘Why Soft Skills Are Crucial For Your Recruitment Process’ or our other blogs on our website https://www.influxrecruitment.com/blog/